Thursday, July 18, 2019

TV: Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

I avoided this show for a long time, but I'm glad I finally sat down and gave it a try.  It wasn't that I didn't think it would be good - I was pretty sure it would be - but the premise of the show was a problem for me at the time.  (I wasn't kidnapped and kept hostage in a bunker, but I have my own history of abuse that doesn't always stay tucked neatly away.)

Anyway, I knew Ellie Kemper from The Office, and I wasn't sure about her strength to play a main character.  However, I was truly delighted, and Carol Kane as her dotty neighbour tipped the balance.  (See my previous confession re: comedy greats).

I am pleased that although the bunker sets up some of the jokes, Kimmy's experience is one that takes her many seasons to process and recover from.  The creators and writers taking that seriously is why I regard the show so highly, although don't worry - it's funny too!

Scores and comments for:
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Gore/Violence:  Very low.
Passes Bechdel test:  Yes.  (The first conversation is Kimmy and Gretchen talking about the festivities they're setting up.).
Diversity:  Typical for prime-time shows - a few token minorities in the cast.
HAES-friendly:  Not great here.  There aren't a ton of fat jokes but they do pop up.

As of July 2019 it's available on Netflix Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment