Saturday, July 20, 2019

TV: Gilmore Girls

This is one of those shows where I'm not telling you about it, because you've definitely heard of it... but you might be like me, and it took you ten years or more to get around to watching it.  This is your reminder!

I only started watching when the "year in the life" season came out a few years back.  So, the show was already a solid 15 years old by the time I watched it.  It didn't disappoint - I loved the writing and the main characters.  I did get bogged down at the beginning of season 2, and never watched past it.  I think Season 1 is a fun way to spend a little time, though.

Scores and comments for:
Gilmore Girls
Passes Bechdel test:  Yes; within the first couple of minutes, Lorelei and Rory discuss lip gloss.  The whole premise of the show - a woman who had a baby while she was a teenager and did a good job of raising her and being a successful working woman - is a nice bit of feminism.
HAES-friendly:  Sort of.  I find it nice to see that Lorelai and Rory eat a lot, and although there is some judgement applied to some kinds of food, it's great to see an explicit portrayal of women who regularly eat a large volume of food and are still thin. Melissa McCarthy is in it, and I was relieved that her character's weight is never mentioned.
Diversity: Very low.

As of  July 2019, this is on Netflix Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment