Monday, July 15, 2019

TV: iZombie

Now, don't scroll too fast, here, and dismiss this show just because of the Z-word.  I don't watch much of anything that has supernatural elements, and I certainly avoid zombie shows as being too gory for me.  But there is something about iZombie that sets it apart, and dare I say... it transcends the zombie genre.

If you liked Veronica Mars, this is by the same creator.   That was enough for me to give it a try, and I was primed to like it just because the main character is a woman.  Rose McIver is a delight on par with Kristen Bell, and  I dare you to watch it and not want to kick back and play video games with Ravi, drink cocktails with Peyton or go on a ride-along with Clive.  (Wait, that isn't a euphemism for anything, is it?  But even if it is, my point stands).  There's the case of the week, but there's an overall arc to the plot that those fit within.

If you're squeamish like me, you'll have to regularly close your eyes during morgue scenes and when Liv is cooking.  But it's worth it.

Scores and comments for:
iZombie
Gore/Violence: Extremely high.
Passes Bechdel test:  Yes.  (The first conversation of the show is Liv and Marcy not only talking medicine, but saving someone's life.).
Diversity:  Good, and not afraid of interracial relationships.
HAES-friendly:  Not particularly informed but usually not actively harmful.
Triggers:  plenty.  

No comments:

Post a Comment