Thursday, January 6, 2011

Farmhouse Hearts and Darts, Part 3

If you know me at all, you know I love to cook. After our first visit to the farmhouse I was startled to find that I had spent almost no time considering the kitchen at all, and couldn't even remember how the cabinets and appliances were laid out. I guess I was already thinking of it as gutted!

I'm not a big fan of dumpsters full of perfectly good building materials, but I'm also not a big fan of this kitchen. The 1970s medicine cabinet posing as a window, the faux-rustic handles, and especially the oh-so-practical plywood backsplash are not what I would choose for myself.

One hilarious thing you can't see in the picture is that the kitchen sink doesn't connect to the septic system. The drain pipe runs straight out a hole knocked in the outside wall, and empties onto the ground!

Plans are up in the air for replacing the kitchen - we certainly won't do it any time soon, since this one is perfectly functional once my plumbing-capable spouse handles the drainage issues.

Tonight's 'good' side... along with the house we gained two outbuildings, both full of junk and possible treasures. My son in particular has shown the most interest in sorting through them and putting aside things he thinks have value. He brought in this little hurricane lantern just as we were leaving during the holidays - I didn't even have time to brush the thick layer of dust off it, as you can see. The power often goes off there, since all electricity comes through one access point where the island is closest to the mainland. It was off for about eight hours while we were there, in fact. Filling this little lantern up with kerosene and having it handy will be practical while also indulging my nostalgia.

No comments:

Post a Comment