Monday, October 17, 2022

 

Some news articles just grab my imagination immediately when I see them. This was from the News Herald in Perkasie, Pennsylvania, on June 15, 1994. If I was a writer, this would be the basis for my next novel.

With subscriptions to a couple of sites I use for genealogy research, I was able to find lots of information on the family.

Thanks to the USA's penchant for making records public, I can see Zarouhi's petition for naturalization online. When she petitioned, her residence was 2020 Blavis Street, Philadephia. This address no longer exists, but in the previous block there are stretches of two-storey brick townhouses that were probably quite pretty when they were new.

The petition even gives me her description; she is 5 foot 4 inches tall, 120 pounds, with a medium complexion, brown eyes, and gray hair. 

She married her husband, whose name is given as Onnig, on Feb 2, 1925 in Havana, Cuba. Onnig/John was born at Pazar Keuz, Turkey on March 15, 1882 and entered the US at New York on August 1, 1912. He was naturalized in 1921.

The three sons mentioned in the obituary are also listed on the petition. Minas and Neishan (Frank) were born in Philadephia, and Simon in Hatfield.

Zahouri petitioned earlier for naturalization, in 1927, but was denied because she could not speak English at the time.

The Wolfsonian Library even gives me a picture of the S. S. Cuba, the ship that Zahouri traveled on. And the ship's manifest lists all the "aliens", so of course I read all those names, and just above Zarouhi are a couple of Canadians, Arthur and Pauline Hill... and don't they turn out to be buried just across town from where I sit writing this. I like to imagine that some sort of friendly interactions happened between the women, so different in age, origin, and situation in life (Arthur was a major in the 





No comments:

Post a Comment