Monday, January 9, 2012

Eating Locally

I know I'm at least five years behind the times, but over the last couple of days I've been enthusiastic about the idea of an island-only diet for some period of time, ideally a year.  I'd start in the spring when the community-supported agriculture garden shares start, and I'd get at least two shares so I could be freezing and preserving two-thirds of the fruit and veggies for the winter.  Extra potatoes, turnips, cabbages and carrots can be gotten from the farmer's market just before it closes in the fall.

As I eat my lunch today - a spinach and cheese concoction that started out as an omelet, but ended up more like scrambled eggs - I can't help but think about how it would be modified.  The eggs are no problem, because many people on the island sell home-raised eggs.  Spinach will come from my garden, of course.  There's no longer a dairy on the island, unfortunately, but I'm not supposed to eat cow's milk anyway. I've heard a rumour about goat shares, so I might be able to make my own goat cheese.

There's a farm on the island growing Red Fife wheat and oats and milling it themselves, so I will become an expert at baking with that heritage wheat, no doubt.  So I expect my toast will be hearty and delicious.  Hm.... butter from goat milk, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment