A 2007 study by Xin Ma of the University of Kentucky in Lexington says that "calculus was identified as a critical filter that screened females from science and engineering majors and into majors in liberal arts."
As a test, we looked at every program offered at the Faculty of Arts at the University of Waterloo. Almost a quarter of them list Grade 12 Mathematics of Data Management as a recommended pre-requisite... do some of these surprise you?
- Accounting and Financial Management (requires Calculus and Advanced Functions)
- Computing and Financial Management (requires Calculus and Advanced Functions)
- Geography and Environmental Management
- Political Science
- Sexuality, Marriage, and Family Studies
- Social Development Studies
It looks to us like stopping math courses after Grade 11 might not even qualify you for that major in liberal arts.
(Xin Ma's full study.)