Saturday, November 27, 2010

Wallpaper

Wallpaper has a bad name these days, and I need look no further than my mother for evidence - she grew up in a house covered in wallpaper, and refuses to even consider the concept for any house she lives in! (It probably didn't help that a house we rented for a year in 1970 had red flocked wallpaper.)

In looking at Edwardian wallpapers online today, I came across this lovely Willow Boughs pattern. It was designed by William Morris in 1887.

I've often wondered what a "double roll" is, and according to this site, it's 20 1/2" wide by 33 feet long. The room I'm considering papering is roughly 10' by 10', with walls varying from 4' to 8' tall. I'm estimating six double rolls; I don't think I can get away with 5.

At $169 per double roll, I might be better off buy just two rolls (the minimum order), papering two walls, and painting the others with Farrow & Ball's Lime White (shown). I think this will make a nice, restful bedroom.

My husband is only a little less adamant than my mother about hating wallpaper, so I hope the green colours will mollify him!

I originally thought Chappell Green for a main paint colour and Lime White for trim, but it looked a bit too "matchy" and amateurish. Picking up the green or brown for bedding will be enough for me, probably.

No comments:

Post a Comment